We all want a sweet treat now and then but snacking on desserts is hard to do when you’re trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Dashing Dish founder Katie Farrell shares her delicious—and still nutritious—strawberry cupcakes.
What You Need:
1 Box strawberry cake mix (or any regular or low-sugar cake mix of choice)
1 (12 oz) can diet red pop (or any pop of choice)
1 (8 oz) Container Cool Whip™
1 (8oz) Sugar free vanilla pudding mix (or regular)
1 cup Skim milk
3-4 drops Red or pink food coloring
What You Do
1. Preheat oven to 350, and line (two 12-muffin tins) with cupcake liners.
If you are using anything other than a 12-oz can, measure out 1 1/2 cup of pop.
2. Beat cake mix and pop together until batter is smooth and creamy. Pour cake mix into lined muffin tin, filling each cup about halfway. Place cupcakes in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
3. While cupcakes are baking, mix together pudding mix, milk, Cool Whip, and food coloring. Slowly beat or whisk whipped topping until all of the ingredients are just combined. (Be careful not to overmix.) Add as much food coloring you need to get the color you desire. Place whipped topping in a bowl and chill in the fridge until cupcakes are cooled and ready to be frosted.
4. When cupcakes come out of the oven, let cool completely before frosting. When ready to frost, place whipped frosting in a large Ziplock bag. Cut the tip off a corner of the bag and squeeze frosting down to the cut corner. Squeeze frosting out while making a swirling/upward motion and lift at the peak!
5. Sprinkle with red sugar if desired! Serve to those you love and ENJOY!
Servings: 24 cupcakes
Katie Farrell is a registered nurse and the author of Dashing Dish, a website where she shares healthy, delicious recipes, along with meal plans, health coaching, and everything else you need to live a healthy, fulfilling life.